History of Mount Morris
Located in the Town of Mount Morris in Livingston County, New York, the Village of Mount Morris sits proudly at the northeastern entrance to Letchworth State Park which encompasses a scenic gorge and triple waterfall thanks to the Genesee River.
The community was first called "Allen Hill" and "Richmond Hill" by early settler Ebenezer Allen. The Village of Mount Morris was incorporated in 1835. It was then named after Robert Morris, the financier of the American Revolution, and later owner of The Morris Reserve, from which the lands around Mount Morris were sold to settlers. It was suggested that these lands were sold at unfairly low prices to friends of the Morris estate, in an attempt to create something akin to an oligarchical rule by landowners in the area.
General Williams Mills Mansion is now home to the Mount Morris Historical Society.